Skip to main content

[CA] Can a former attorney still enforce a fee lien after withdrawing without cause?

Lawyer, Esquire
Lawyer, Esquire

25 satisfied customers

View context
Solved

I can see why you're frustrated with this situation. You've got solid contract language and multiple grounds to challenge the lien, but you're running into procedural walls that are making it hard to move forward. Let me walk through what's happening and what your options look like.

Why the county bar association won't proceed with MFA: their position, while it feels backwards, comes from how mandatory fee arbitration is designed. The Mandatory Fee Arbitration Act (CA Bus & Prof Code ยง 6200-6206), sets up this process to resolve disputes about attorney fees when there's an underlying attorney-client relationship. The local program's thinking is that if the case itself is still active and unresolved, they can't cleanly separate the fee dispute from the case outcome. They're concerned that resolving the fee question independently could affect how the underlying case settles or gets resolved later.

It's a catch-22, and I get why you're upset about it. But here's the thing: the program isn't saying you can't ever use MFA. It's saying it wants the underlying case handled first. The problem is that you need new counsel to handle the underlying case, and you can't get counsel because of the lien threat.

What you could try with the bar association: you might be able to push back by writing to them and explaining exactly what you've told me. Explain that the former attorney has said he won't enforce the lien while you're unrepresented, that he hasn't actually filed it, and that you need the MFA process to move forward precisely so you can get new counsel and move the underlying case. Some local programs will make exceptions when the situation creates an impossible deadlock. It's worth asking directly whether they'd consider proceeding with MFA as a way to unblock the whole situation.

The timing question: bar complaint now or later? This is where strategy matters. You've got good reasons to file a complaint with the State Bar, and there are arguments for doing it now. Filing now could actually help you. A complaint creates an official record of the former attorney's alleged misconduct, the fee sharing arrangement with an unlicensed attorney, the abandonment, and the retaliation. That record exists independent of the MFA process, and it moves through the State Bar's discipline and investigation process, which anyone can initiate free of charge. If you file now, the State Bar investigates while you're also pursuing MFA. If it finds misconduct, that strengthens your position everywhere else. It also puts pressure on the former attorney, since bar complaints are taken seriously and he knows that.

On the other hand, waiting until after MFA has some appeal too. An MFA decision in your favor would be a clean, neutral arbitration result that says he's not entitled to fees. That looks really good in a bar complaint because you'd have a third party saying he's wrong, not just your word against his.

But here's my thinking: the fact that you're stuck in this loop suggests you need to open up multiple paths forward at once. Filing a bar complaint now doesn't prevent you from pursuing MFA. They're separate processes. A bar complaint might actually move faster than the local MFA process, and it could generate enough pressure that the former attorney reconsiders his position or the State Bar intervenes.

The other thing is that filing a bar complaint now shows you're serious and not just making noise. It's an official action that gets documented. That might actually help you when you reach out to potential new counsel. You can tell them, "I've filed a bar complaint and I'm pursuing MFA, so this is being handled through official channels."

What I'd probably do in your shoes is file the bar complaint now while simultaneously pushing the bar association to reconsider its MFA position. You're not choosing between them. You're using both tools at once to break the deadlock.

Does that answer your questions about why the bar association won't proceed and whether to file a complaint now? Is there anything else about this strategy that you'd like me to clarify? Thank you for trusting me with this. I know you're dealing with a lot here.

0

Contingency Fee Agreement

Full Conversation


I need help with MFA. My former attorney unilaterally dropped my case. In this termination letter he stated he is asserting a lien of $30,000 for the services he provided. It has been impossible to find a new lawyer because of the lien. I am CERTAIN he is not entitled to any money. I started the MFA process. But the Bar Association says that nothing can be done until the underlying case (which he dropped) is settled. But, it can not be settled because I can't get new counsel until the lien is gone. I need help.

Lexi

Lexi, Chatbot

I understand how frustrating it must be to feel stuck in this situation with your former attorney. Can you tell me if you have any written agreements or contracts regarding the services provided by your former attorney?

MFA = Mandatory Fee Dispute

Lexi

Lexi, Chatbot

Have you attempted to negotiate or communicate with your former attorney regarding the lien, and if so, what was their response?

Yes, tried to talk to him via email. Didn't work. Now started MFA process. Stuck.

Lexi

Lexi, Chatbot

Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured they'll be able to help with your attorney lien issue.

No.

Lawyer, Esquire

Lawyer, Esquire

Hello! I'm an attorney with over 20 years of experience. Thanks so much for the opportunity to assist you!

This is a genuinely tough spot you're in, and I can see why you're frustrated. Being caught between a lien dispute and needing new counsel to move forward sounds like a real catch-22. Let me ask you a couple things: What state are you in? And do you have any written agreement with your former attorney about fees or how disputes would be handled? Thank you for bringing this to me. PS: I do my best to keep chats going in real time, but if there's a delay on my end, please don't worry. The chat doesn't close and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. There's no rush on your end either!

California. Orange County. The written agreement said he can claim a fee, but "If Attorney withdraws without cause, Attorney waives any right to attorney's fees and any lien for fees." I am confident he withdrew without cause. The contract was for contingency.

The attorney isn't entitled to any fee for the following reasons: 1. He engaged in professional misconduct via a fee sharing agreement with a non-California-licensed attorney, 2. He failed to provide any billing or proof of fees, 3. He unilaterally abandoned representation without justifiable cause, 4. His withdrawal was retaliatory, 5. He materially harmed my case through professional error and negligence, 6. His demand is unconscionable and he is improperly "hedging his bets," 7. He failed to adhere to mandatory procedural requirements for fee collection, and 8. His lien is actively interfering with my efforts to secure successor counsel.

The problem now is that I have begun the MFA process with the county bar association. But they say we cannot proceed until the underlying case is settled. But, at this point I cannot settle the case because I can't find new representation because of the former attorney's lien.

I have a big question. The attorney stated, "If you are unrepresented then I will not enforce the lien. And I can confirm that no lien has been filed." Can I then assume that there is no actual active lien? And only a future intent to file a lien?

Another question: Should I offer to sign an indemnity clause with potential new counsel? What exactly is an indemnity clause?

Lawyer, Esquire

Lawyer, Esquire

You've got some really good leverage here, and that statement from your former attorney is actually pretty helpful to you. If he's saying he won't enforce the lien while you're unrepresented and hasn't actually filed it yet, then you're right that there's no active lien on record right now. It's more of a threat than an actual encumbrance. That matters because it means new counsel can take your case without dealing with a recorded lien that would cloud title or create practical problems. What he's essentially done is tell you he's holding off, which actually weakens his position if this goes to the bar or to court later. An indemnity clause is basically an agreement where one party agrees to cover losses or damages that another party might face. In your situation, a new attorney might ask you to indemnify them against any claims your former attorney might make about the lien. Basically, you'd be saying "if my old attorney comes after you for fees, I'll cover it." Whether you should offer one depends on how the conversation goes with potential counsel. Some lawyers will want it, some won't care. It could actually help you get representation because it shows good faith and removes their worry about getting pulled into a fee dispute. Your contract language about withdrawal without cause is strong, and you've laid out multiple reasons why he shouldn't get paid. The bar dispute process and finding new counsel are connected problems, but that statement he made actually helps you solve both. Have you reached out to any potential new attorneys yet and explained this situation to them directly? Thank you for walking me through all this.

I have reached out to 50+ attorneys and they won't take the case because they treat the asserted lien like an active lien. I don't understand why the bar association won't proceed with the MFA process. Can you explain that to me? I thought I could get rid of the "lien" now. By proving to the MFA committee that he is not entitled to any money for the reasons listed before.

Another question. I was holding off on doing a bar complaint until the MFA process was over. I thought that when the MFA eventually agrees with me, that it would support my complaint claims. But, I'm considering doing it now. Do you have an opinion on that?

Lawyer, Esquire

Lawyer, Esquire

I can see why you're frustrated with this situation. You've got solid contract language and multiple grounds to challenge the lien, but you're running into procedural walls that are making it hard to move forward. Let me walk through what's happening and what your options look like.

Why the county bar association won't proceed with MFA: their position, while it feels backwards, comes from how mandatory fee arbitration is designed. The Mandatory Fee Arbitration Act (CA Bus & Prof Code ยง 6200-6206), sets up this process to resolve disputes about attorney fees when there's an underlying attorney-client relationship. The local program's thinking is that if the case itself is still active and unresolved, they can't cleanly separate the fee dispute from the case outcome. They're concerned that resolving the fee question independently could affect how the underlying case settles or gets resolved later.

It's a catch-22, and I get why you're upset about it. But here's the thing: the program isn't saying you can't ever use MFA. It's saying it wants the underlying case handled first. The problem is that you need new counsel to handle the underlying case, and you can't get counsel because of the lien threat.

What you could try with the bar association: you might be able to push back by writing to them and explaining exactly what you've told me. Explain that the former attorney has said he won't enforce the lien while you're unrepresented, that he hasn't actually filed it, and that you need the MFA process to move forward precisely so you can get new counsel and move the underlying case. Some local programs will make exceptions when the situation creates an impossible deadlock. It's worth asking directly whether they'd consider proceeding with MFA as a way to unblock the whole situation.

The timing question: bar complaint now or later? This is where strategy matters. You've got good reasons to file a complaint with the State Bar, and there are arguments for doing it now. Filing now could actually help you. A complaint creates an official record of the former attorney's alleged misconduct, the fee sharing arrangement with an unlicensed attorney, the abandonment, and the retaliation. That record exists independent of the MFA process, and it moves through the State Bar's discipline and investigation process, which anyone can initiate free of charge. If you file now, the State Bar investigates while you're also pursuing MFA. If it finds misconduct, that strengthens your position everywhere else. It also puts pressure on the former attorney, since bar complaints are taken seriously and he knows that.

On the other hand, waiting until after MFA has some appeal too. An MFA decision in your favor would be a clean, neutral arbitration result that says he's not entitled to fees. That looks really good in a bar complaint because you'd have a third party saying he's wrong, not just your word against his.

But here's my thinking: the fact that you're stuck in this loop suggests you need to open up multiple paths forward at once. Filing a bar complaint now doesn't prevent you from pursuing MFA. They're separate processes. A bar complaint might actually move faster than the local MFA process, and it could generate enough pressure that the former attorney reconsiders his position or the State Bar intervenes.

The other thing is that filing a bar complaint now shows you're serious and not just making noise. It's an official action that gets documented. That might actually help you when you reach out to potential new counsel. You can tell them, "I've filed a bar complaint and I'm pursuing MFA, so this is being handled through official channels."

What I'd probably do in your shoes is file the bar complaint now while simultaneously pushing the bar association to reconsider its MFA position. You're not choosing between them. You're using both tools at once to break the deadlock.

Does that answer your questions about why the bar association won't proceed and whether to file a complaint now? Is there anything else about this strategy that you'd like me to clarify? Thank you for trusting me with this. I know you're dealing with a lot here.

Thank you for answering my questions. I want to note that before I started the MFA process, I tried to talk to the former attorney over email. I told him all the reasons he's not entitled to a lien. I then told him if he didn't drop the lien I would make a complaint with the bar. He was offended by this and called it a threat. I told him I was notifying him of my intent to use my right to file a bar complaint. I mention this only because it seems like this attorney has an incredibly stubborn personality. Therefore, if I file the complaint now, which I probably will, I have a feeling he will double down and file the lien for certain.

Lawyer, Esquire

Lawyer, Esquire

You're right that his reaction tells you something about how he'll respond to a bar complaint. If he's already defensive and viewing your assertion of rights as a threat, filing a complaint could provoke him to actually file the lien just to prove a point. That's a real risk. But here's the flip side: if he files the lien anyway regardless of what you do, you're no worse off. And if you file the complaint first, you've documented his conduct and his refusal to drop an improper lien. That record matters. Plus, once a lien is actually filed, it becomes a concrete thing that can be challenged in court or through the bar process, rather than just a threat hanging over your head. It sounds like you're weighing whether to provoke him or try to work around him. Either way, you're stuck until something breaks. Filing the complaint at least puts the situation in official hands where it belongs. Is there anything else you'd like to discuss about this, or do you feel like you have what you need to move forward?

Thank you for your input. I will use your guidance to move forward in communicating with new potential counsel and filing a complaint with the bar. Thank you!

Lawyer, Esquire

Lawyer, Esquire

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help you think through this. You've got a solid plan, and you're approaching it the right way. Good luck with everything. Is there anything else you need, or are we good? Come back anytime. Friendly reminder: if there's ever a delay in my response, please don't worry. I'll be back with you as soon as I can. Thanks again for your patience!

Lawyer, Esquire

Lawyer, Esquire

25 satisfied customers

Lawyer, Esquire
Welcome! Have a similar question?

12 lawyers online now

0:00

By messaging AskALawyer, you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Disclaimer


By messaging AskaLawyer.com, you agree to ourย Terms and have read ourย Privacy Policy.

The information provided on AskaLawyer.com is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. While we strive to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of the information presented, we make no guarantees regarding its completeness or applicability to your specific circumstances.

Use of this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and AskaLawyer.com or any of its attorneys. Communications through this website, including any responses from attorneys, are not privileged or confidential. For advice tailored to your individual situation, we recommend consulting a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

AskaLawyer.com disclaims any liability for actions taken or not taken based on the content of this site. We are not responsible for any third-party content that may be accessed through this website. Reliance on any information provided herein is solely at your own risk.

Ask a Lawyer Logo
Ask a Lawyer Logo
Intake Questions
Step  of 3
Loading...

What's your legal question?

Lexi, Chatbot

How would you like your legal question to be answered?

Online

Loading...

How do you like to pay?

By proceeding with payment, you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy. You authorize us to charge $ today and $ thereafter until canceled. You may cancel anytime in the My Account section to stop future charges.

Total Due:

After purchasing, your chat will begin with an attorney.

By proceeding with payment, you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy. You authorize us to charge $ today and $ thereafter until canceled. You may cancel anytime in the My Account section to stop future charges.

Total Due:

After purchasing, your chat will begin with an attorney.

After connecting, your chat will begin with an attorney. After choosing, your chat will continue with Legal AI.

It looks like you already have an account with Ask a Lawyer.

We have sent you a magic link to . Click the link in your email to sign in and continue your chat.

spin

Step of 6 โ€ข

You'll receive an email at as soon as the lawyer joins the conversation ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜Š

Over 90% of lawyers connect within 5 minutes. If you're not online at that moment, don't worry โ€” the lawyer will reply to your message while you're away.

You're also welcome to stay in the chat while waiting to be connected ๐Ÿ’ฌโœจ

Waiting for lawyer

We couldn't send your message. Please try again.

Your lawyer will reply as soon as possible

If there’s a delay, please don’t worry. Your chat will stay open, and they’ll get back to you as soon as they can. There’s no rush on your end either. You’ll receive an email notification as soon as there’s a new message.

You've reached your AI chat limit

Upgrade your plan to continue chatting and get instant domain-specific answers.

0:00